Thursday, November 24, 2016

Gratitude

If you only think about what you are thankful for this one day each year, buddy, you're doing life all wrong.

I've (re)added a new habit to my daily routine over the last few weeks. This is something I keep coming back to when I feel my anxiety spiraling out of control, and it really makes a difference in how I approach each day. I'm not sure why I even occasionally fall out of practice with this... I think I just get too overwhelmed sometimes and forget this is a helpful weapon in my anti-anxiety arsenal.

Here's what I do: Upon waking every morning, before I even roll out of bed, I think about three things I'm grateful for. Those three thoughts are typically the same every single day, in the following order because that's how I become aware of their existence in my slowly waking state:

  1. "Man, do I have a comfortable bed. I am so lucky to wake up every morning thinking I've just had the best sleep of my life, and even though I can't bear to part with it, I know the bed is going to be there when I'm ready to go back to sleep at night. I'm so glad I get to sleep, and sleep well, because it helps me be a healthy human being."
  2. "I have the snuggliest cuddle monster of a dog, and yes, he may be snoring like a chainsaw right now, but that just confirms he's alive and well, and here to help me get through another day."
  3. "I've got a husband that thinks I'm even more awesome than an oreo baked inside a chocolate chip cookie,  and treats me like a princess despite all of my shenanigans."
Han Solo and Princess Leia
And nobody points a finger at this princess.
Occasionally, I'll think of other things I'm grateful for. Like the fact that we get some pretty awesome holidays here in the states, and I'm grateful my employer gives me the time off of work to spend them with my family. Or that I've got a kitchen full of nutritious food, and I'm not going to be hungry today. Or that I get to live in my own personal paradise while my friends are watching a football game in thundersnow... and yes, I may be envious that they get to watch the football game, but thundersnow.

I could go on about all the things I feel so fortunate to have in my life, but I think I'm walking a fine line here between information sharing and bragging.

Besides, the point is that going through this exercise reminds me that - even on my worst days - life is pretty damn good.

I'm sure everyone can think of three things they are grateful for, even in what seems like the most difficult of times. Leave a comment if you'd like to share what your three things are. You might just help someone who is struggling right now brainstorm something they wouldn't have otherwise thought of.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone.




No comments:

Post a Comment