Monday, April 4, 2016

My brother

A Luke Skywalker he is not. I'm not even sure he knows who Luke Skywalker is.

Although we couldn't be any more different, I really enjoyed getting to spend some one-on-one time with my little brother, Brian. I've got 16.5 years on him, which makes me qualified to make fun of his severe case of millennial-itis. He'll be 19 years old in another week, and his mother still cried when she had to leave him on Saturday (my father and step-mother were heading on a cruise out of Tampa). I had a hard time holding it together when she was giving him instructions on how to pack his suitcase, and turned to him and said... through her tears... "You're a man, now."

Hahahahahahahahahah. Is it wrong that I can't stop laughing at this? Since that moment on Saturday, I've been singing this song (NSFW) at every opportune moment for Brian. He's been a good sport about it, even trying to see if he could somehow make it his ringtone. It's still stuck in my head today, so I'm glad I don't work in a traditional office anymore.

But in all seriousness, one of the things I miss most about moving away from New Jersey is hanging out with my brother. We're polar opposites, but always find the most random things to bond over. Like Super Smash Brothers, an old Nintendo Gamecube video game he has yet to beat me at. Or the New York Yankees.

Yesterday, we discovered a mutual affinity for binge watching episodes of Ink Master on Hulu. It's a reality show about tattoo artists that's incredibly gripping. I protested when he picked it out, but after five minutes of watching, I couldn't pull myself away. I promised him that I'd continue to watch the show after he left, and that maybe next time he came to Florida we could go get matching sibling tattoos.

Ok, that will never happen. My step-mother would break both my legs. No more running for me.

So today I felt a little bit down after I dropped him off at the airport at 4:00am for his flight back to NJ.

But the feeling only lasted momentarily... because then I realized marathon family visitation week was finally over.

Time to celebrate!

When stress causes you to drink heavily
I wish. Had to put in a full day of work after aforementioned airport run.
At least now I can get back to my own regularly scheduled life. Sorry Brian, not watching Ink Master tonight, something much better just came out on blu-ray:


Today's exercise: Driving my kid brother to the airport at an ungodly hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment