Monday, July 4, 2016

Freedom

Today I declare my independence from sugar.

Ok, it's only been a week off of the white stuff, so my declaration is a bit premature. But the urges to eat sweet, carby things have been incredibly weak over the last 7 days. I just hope to keep the momentum going.

I've also been sticking to planned workouts. Yesterday, I hit up spin class with my mom and my husband. It would have been easy to bail because I had to pick Ben up at 12:30am Sunday morning at the airport, so we certainly had a good reason to sleep in. The fact that even he got up for spin shows some dedication - he's not usually a fan. I think he just wanted to spend more "quality" time with me since he had to go back to the airport this morning for another business trip.

At least we got a day together! Something tells me he might not be joining me for spin for a while. Something was wrong with the A/C at Globo Gym, so it was like hot spin class. Gross. The mirrors fogged up really fast. It was not the most pleasurable experience.

We took Joey out to the Dog Bar to celebrate the 4th a little bit early and imbibed some much-earned adult beverages. Joey stuck with water, though. He didn't want to be hungover for today's Project Pup nursing home visit.

After driving Ben back to the airport this morning, I went to CrossFit for today's Workout of the Day. This makes two WODs in a week for me, which is a big deal - not so much for the fact that I'm experiencing movement again after two months of being sidelined due to an injury - more because I'm not letting my anxiety get in the way of showing up to social workouts by myself with a bunch of people I don't know.

So today's WOD - "Schmalls" - looked like this:
800 m run, followed by 2 rounds of:
50 burpees... yes, I did 100 burpees today, everyone. Hold your applause.
40 pullups ... or the thing I do where I stack a bunch of 25lb plates to stand on so that I can actually *reach* the bar and work on jumping pullups.
30 squats
20 kettlebell swings
10 handstand pushups... please, like that's happening for me anytime soon. I'm stoked that I can do A pushup, I don't need to prove anything with doing them upside down...

and then rinse and repeat with another 800m run.

Chase with 2 hours of yardwork that I've been meaning to catch up on in the last two weeks. Not part of the WOD, though I would have certainly welcomed participation from my fellow CrossFitters. Maybe next time.

I. Am. Tired. But feeling highly productive, for sure.

C3PO before the gym, Optimus Prime after the gym.

As accomplished as I feel, I know I need to be a bit more selective about choosing which CF WODs I go to - perhaps need to do less of the cardio-intense WODs, and more of the Olympic weight lifting ones. I've got running down, thankyouverymuch. Don't need someone to beat me up there. But for now, I just need to get in the habit of going consistently before I become choosy.

Anyway, hope everyone is having a great 4th of July. Going to take a much-needed nap so I can be ready to go for some kick ass fireworks tonight.

2 comments :

  1. I love sugar, that would be so so tough for me! Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're inspiring! :-) I've been thinking about quitting sugar, or maybe taking a little break from it.

    ReplyDelete