Saturday, July 2, 2016

Light em up up up

I'm on fire!

BB-8 lighter - on fire, like my legs after running.

No, seriously. My muscles are burning. So sore.

I did keep my promise to myself and went to CrossFit Wednesday night. Didn't realize I was getting myself into a particularly grueling Workout of the Day (WOD) that I'd still be feeling three days later. Actually, I felt great on Thursday. For 24 hours after Wednesday's WOD, I had that "Ima conquer the world now" feeling.

But when I woke up Friday morning, it felt more like the world had conquered me. I tried rolling out of bed and couldn't move. It was so frustrating because - for the first time in weeks - I had the energy and drive to actually go for a run bright and early in the morning, I just physically couldn't do it.

Later in the day, I read this blog post that suggests there's nothing wrong with running when you've got the DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) as long as you take it easy. Fine by me, I need to do more slow runs anyway. I still gave myself a second day off from working out yesterday, and went out this morning for my overdue run.

It was already 90 degrees when I woke up at 7am, which confirms for me that most of my Avengers Half Marathon training is likely going to be done on a treadmill. I can't believe I'm actually missing those cold January days I complained so frequently about.

So I did about 4.5 miles on the treadmill at Globo Gym - wasn't a great run, but it was a run that was injury-free and that's all that matters. I'm well on my way to getting back into a consistent routine. If all goes as planned for the rest of the holiday weekend, I'll be joining my mom for spin class tomorrow and getting in another WOD at Crossfit on Monday.

DOMS, we've had a nice visit, but you've overstayed your welcome. Time to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment