Monday, September 24, 2018

Bad things happen in threes

So let's recap - last September, I feared it was the "End of Days" with Hurricane Irma pounding down on my city in Florida. In October, I feared for my ability to continue being a productive member of society after I learned my job was being eliminated. Scary stuff, eh? But if you've been following along, you know each of those scenarios ended up being a-ok in the end. The hurricane did 0.0 damage to me and my family, and I was offered employment again in April with the company that laid me off, with a start date of mid-June, giving me some ample time to rest and recharge from all of the networking and interviewing I did to desperately seek new employment. 

And then May 22nd of this year came and that's when I felt the lump. And I knew. Life was not about to cut me some slack.

I was in the shower and had an itch on my upper left chest, so I scratched it. There was a firmness that felt unfamiliar to me. I quickly felt around my upper right chest to confirm that something was off, and I could feel the blood drain from my face. 

Breast cancer. It's a family curse. My mother was the first to be diagnosed when she was just 32 years old. I was only 11 at the time, and remember very little about the trials and tribulations she had to go through: being newly divorced, "single-momming" it up, while running her own business and going through multiple surgeries, chemotherapy, and radiation. Not long after she was diagnosed, my Grams in her 60's also received the cancer sentence, although hers was caught much earlier than my mother's and she did not have to go through as much in the way of treatment. 

I had always assumed in my 20's that the same ill fate would befall me in my 30's. It's one of the reasons I shaved my head during my stint on Semester at Sea - I figured knowing what I looked like bald ahead of time would make it less traumatic in the event I would ever need to go through chemotherapy. 

From Vietnam

I had my first mammogram at age 32, the same age my mother was when she was diagnosed, and it came back clear. Shortly after that, Angelina Jolie made headlines for having a double mastectomy because she tested positive for cancer genes. I thought that surely I too had the genes, and should consider following in Angelina's footsteps. I went to see a genetic counselor, who encouraged me to talk to my mother about having genetic testing completed. I would have done it myself, but the counselor suggested it was preferred for the actual cancer survivor to have the testing done first to determine if it is even necessary for the relatives. 

My mother, who thought I was nuts to be considering having a prophylactic double mastectomy, volunteered to have the genetic tests completed, and we were both relieved at the time to find her results came back negative. The genetic counselor agreed there was no reason for me to consider testing, and I took it a step further and made the decision to save myself some money and forget going back for any more mammograms. I suppose now that may have been a mistake. 

Anyway, on that day I found my lump, I didn't sleep much. I had an appointment with my primary care doctor on the schedule within two weeks, so I decided to wait it out to get a referral for a mammogram. She not only referred me out for a mammogram, but also immediately put me in touch with a breast care surgeon in our area. 

I needed multiple appointments to get my diagnosis - the surgeon performed an ultrasound, sent me out for my mammo and MRI, then did a biopsy on the lump. It was tough juggling starting my brand new job in June with all of the doctor's appointments I needed just to get a diagnosis, but I scheduled appointments at lunchtime and at the end of the day when I could, and just explained to my boss that some of these things could not wait. She was understanding and supportive, but man... being the "needy" one is not the position you want to be in when you start working for someone new. 

And then I got an email from Quest Diagnostics on June 25th at 2pm, 2 hours before I was to meet up with my surgeon again. Yup, email delivered the news. The results of my biopsy were in. 

Invasive Ductal Carcinoma. Grade 3. Triple Negative. A bunch of things I didn't fully understand, except for the word "carcinoma."

And thus begun my cancer "fight."
 

No comments:

Post a Comment