Friday, September 14, 2018

The last year

Let me summarize today what's been going on since 2017. I'll extrapolate about each of these awesomely terrible things in a future post.

Irma was pretty traumatic for me. The days leading up to it were absolutely frightening, and our last minute escape from Florida was particularly harrowing. Once things settled down in the days following, even though I knew how lucky we had all been, I just couldn't shake the "End of Days" feeling I had. With Hurricane Florence hanging out in the Carolinas this week, I'm feeling that general uneasiness again, even though I'm well outside the path. I just worry for all those who are in the path and hope they can claim the same good fortune I did after Irma.

But I didn't have good fortune after Irma. Just three weeks after the storm, a new storm brewed in my life. For the first time ever, I was facing unemployment. An employer I have served on and off again (by my own choice) in the last ten years had decided my services were no longer needed, and I'd be jobless come 2018. It was a crippling blow to my psyche - even though I didn't love the job I was doing, I loved the comforts it afforded me - the ability to work from home, something I had gotten used to and enjoyed as an introvert over the last three years, and a salary that allowed me to indulge my Disney addictions. I didn't like my job prospects for finding the same kind of work here in Florida.

Spoiler alert... I did eventually find new work. And I believed my luck was turning. But then, two weeks after I started my new job, I was diagnosed with stage 2 breast cancer.



Oh, there's been running, too. St. Pete Run Fest... well, it happened and I "officially" got my sub-2 run. The Princess Run also happened. So more to come on those.

No comments:

Post a Comment