Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Commitment

Now that I'm mostly uninjured (two months later), I've got no excuse not to get back to regular exercise.

Except I'm really having trouble getting back to regular exercise. 

I set my alarm for 5:30 every morning and go to bed early fully intending on getting out the door when said alarm goes off. "Tomorrow's going to be the day I get back on track," I say to myself before I fall asleep.

And then the alarm sounds, and I think of a million reasons not to get up and run. It's dark out (true). My bed is super comfortable (true). My foot kind of hurts (hmm... might be in my head?). I think I have a headache (definitely in my head). 

This isn't me. I exercise 5 days a week. I care about running a sub 2 hour half marathon.

I made a commitment to myself. I don't brush off commitments I make to others... why do I treat the ones I make to myself any differently?

At some point well after my 5:30 alarm clock went off yesterday, the thought popped into my head that I'm 4.5 months from my next half marathon. OMG! Not enough time! So I did get up and squeeze in a 3.5 mile run before work. I was able to put some of the techniques I learned in Running 101 on Saturday into practice, and felt really good afterwards. Accomplished. Energized. These are the feelings I need to remember whenever that alarm clock goes off...

Only I quickly forgot that feeling this morning. Didn't get up this time. 

Still, the day isn't over. I'm feeling surprisingly energized after a super productive work day, so I'm going to get my Crossfit WOD done at 7:30. Because I'm doing an evening workout, I would not intend on doing any strenuous activity tomorrow morning - maybe I will just take a walk so that I can work on getting used to rolling out of bed early again.

Things seem to still be going well eating-wise, which I think is due to starting thyroid meds. I am still behaving much more rationally around food. My stomach and I have friendly conversations these days:

Dear stomach, you're bored, not hungry. So Shut up.

1 comment :

  1. Getting up early in the morning is hard! Here is my advice (yes from a total stranger feel free to ignore it). Get up at that time even if you don't workout every day for a month. At the end it will be a habit. If you skip a day you have to start over ... that's your motivation to not skip a day.

    ReplyDelete