Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Hello there, Pumpkin

I've said from the beginning, I've got to start thinking (and eating) like an athlete.

But when it comes to nutrition, I don't know how athletes handle this time of year. Is Tom Brady counting down the seconds until the game ends so he can run to Starbucks?

Tom Brady ordering a pumpkin spice latte, grande, no whip.

The power of Pumpkin compels me. Pumpkin may actually be stronger than the Force.  If you've been inside a Trader Joe's in the past few weeks, perhaps you understand why I walked in a few days ago  and was like "MUST BUY ALL THE THINGS." But I know there's an important balance in my macronutrients (protein, fats, carbs) that gets thrown out of whack when you introduce sweet pumpkin goodies into the mix. I think I'll need to be satisfied getting through this season with Pumpkin coffee and savory pumpkin dishes.

Anyway, I may not have eaten as cleanly as I should have today for my run (I'm looking at you, pumpkin scone). Within two minutes of my run today, I felt much more winded than I should have. I didn't quite have the um... digestive issues... I had at last week's run, but I still suffered from some cramping. Tonight's crew at Running for Brews were among the more athletic, which is good for me because I usually try to keep up with faster runners. My body was just not cooperating, though.

Do I know for sure my eating habits are the culprit? Not necessarily. Maybe I just haven't adjusted to running in 100% humidity (thank you, recent move to Florida) yet. I'll give it another try next week.

But I'm still feeling a bit discouraged. If I'm going to hit a sub 2:00 half marathon, I need to shave one minute per mile off my current time... and sustain that for 13 miles.

196 days left - is it enough time?

Today's Exercise: Running for Brews 5k - 2.60 miles at 10.03 min/mi

Breakfast
Lunch
PWO
Dinner
Coffee
Eggs with Spinach
More Coffee
Tuna
Baby Spinach Salad
Iced Pumpkin Scone
GNC Puredge Energy
GNC Puredge Protein

No comments:

Post a Comment