Monday, May 16, 2016

Dr. Paleo

I think my new doctor and I are going to be good friends.

I'm so relieved. My health insurance is pretty restrictive about who I call my primary care physician, and I wasn't sure I was going to be able to find an in-network doctor who reads a lot of the same stuff I do. I did a lot of research over the last few months, and as luck would have it, found a possible match within a 3-minute bike ride from where I live. I made an appointment right away, but had to reschedule a few times because of my unplanned trip to NJ at the end of April.

I arrived at my scheduled time today, a little bit nervous about having to rehash to yet another doctor my entire life history, eating disorder and all. I didn't want to be told to stop running again, or walk out with another antidepressant prescription.

When he walked into the room, I made some immediate judgments. He's probably the oldest doctor I've had in my lifetime. Definitely not right out of med school (although he later told me he actually didn't even go to med school until he was 40, which reminded me it's never too late in life to do the things I really want to do). I almost didn't want to tell him my list of... quirks... because I was fairly certain he would have me institutionalized by the end of our conversation.

But I took a breath and gave him the full story, including all of my beliefs about food addiction, my on-again/off-again relationship with the paleo lifestyle, and how I'm currently just exhausted by life.

And when I ended my story on the verge of tears, he smiled at me and told me his nickname was "Dr. Paleo" and that he was absolutely certain he could help me.

So I left with a request for lab work, a recommendation to look into the GAPS Diet by Natasha Campbell-McBride, and a little less skepticism about doctors.

Awesome. The only thing I didn't like? I had to be weighed today.

Star Wars Finn making the face I make when I have to weigh myself.
The face I make when they tell me I have to get on the scale.
I haven't stepped on a scale in ages. And what I saw today was shocking... not in a good way.

Maybe I should have asked for that Zoloft refill after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment