Sunday, May 22, 2016

SORE

Just so you know, there's no DOMS after doing Crossfit.

No, the soreness comes pretty much immediately. I could barely reach up into my cupboards to grab a mug to make coffee after my workout yesterday

Man, I missed Crossfit.

As I mentioned yesterday, I used to go to CF pretty regularly when I lived in NJ in 2014. I loved the energy, the people, and the sense of accomplishment I got after every workout.

What I didn't love was that I was often sidelined with injuries for weeks at a time. Hips. Shoulders. Knee problems. At the time, I had fantastic health insurance that covered me for chiropractor visits, but even with popping in and out for adjustments, I just couldn't seem to heal quickly enough to get back in the game. 

Finally, in November 2014, I called it quits from CF. I couldn't risk any more injuries that might screw me over for my inaugural Star Wars Rebel Challenge 10k and half marathon at Disneyland in 2015.

Clearly, I had been doing my WODs (Workout of the Day) incorrectly. Or maybe my inflammatory diet and disordered eating patterns caused my problems. But I missed CF, and decided to give it another shot right after I moved to Florida last year. 

There were two things I took as clear signs my local gym and I were meant to be:
  1. The owners, who are about our age, grew up in the same region of Pennsylvania my husband did, so we built some rapport right off the bat.
  2. The WOD on the day I tried it out happened to be "Nicole." (There are some standard CF workouts named after girls and others named after military heroes). And, coincidentally, Nicole involves a lot of running. Nicole isn't easy, but I'm just glad she's not evil like Fran.
I did my one-week free trial at my local gym but then chickened out from joining. I knew I'd be registering for the Star Wars Dark Side Challenge, and I had visions of spending every other month injured again. (It worked out that I didn't join, anyway, when I was forced to move across the bay to Tampa for a while).

But I've convinced myself things will be different now. I'm going to work with the coaches as closely as possible to keep myself off the DL. I'm only going to go twice a week, max (before, I was going 3x or more each week). And I'm really paying attention to what I eat.

So we'll see how it goes for the next three months, but I've got high hopes.

Today's exercise: Spin. (Don't raise your eyebrows at me. Just because my arms hurt doesn't mean my legs can't work!)

No comments:

Post a Comment