Saturday, May 28, 2016

Normalcy

Up today at 5:30. Laced up. Strapped on the heart rate monitor. Got out the door.

The last time I tried running was April 29th, almost a full month ago. I was in New Jersey with my family and figured it was time to get back in the game after two weeks off following the Star Wars Half Marathon.

I figured incorrectly. I had to call it quits after a few laps on the track, and vowed to give myself more time away from running not to mess anything up further.

So that's exactly what I did. Pretty much sat on my ass for a full month. And felt miserable about it. 

Then, I signed up for CrossFit last week and had a decent first workout. I had really high hopes that it meant I'd be reunited with running again soon. I haven't been back to CF since last Saturday because the soreness from that first WOD didn't ease up until yesterday. 

Even though I was feeling better, I could not go back to CF today. I had already pledged my shoulders to my mother for a fun-filled weekend of washing windows, stripping wallpaper, and painting one of her apartments in preparation for a new tenant to move in on the 1st of the month. Glad I got all of my real fun in last weekend.

Because CF was out I thought maybe, just maybe, I could squeeze in a run before meeting up with Mom. Nothing too long or exhausting, just something to test the waters.

How'd it go today? 

Hmm... how honest should I be?

Alright, I probably should not have run. This thing with my foot is so weird. I wouldn't call it pain exactly, but it just doesn't feel the way it did before the race last month.

Stupid Dark Side Half Marathon. You've ruined me forever.

It felt good to be outside again, though. "Good" isn't the right word... I was hit with a wall of humidity when I left at 5:45am (mind you, the sun isn't even up here at that time yet)  which reminded me I'm pretty much entering the worst time of year to be a runner in Florida. 

So it felt... normal-ish... to be outside running again. I guess that's a better way to describe it. It's been an eternity since I last ran around my neighborhood. (Just checked Smashrun. April 13th was my last run here).

So not really sure what the rest of my workout schedule is going to look like this week. My gut tells me less running would be better... and the next CF WOD on Monday is "Murph" (all CF gyms do Murph on Memorial Day) and that includes two miles of running. 

Guess I'll just have to see how quickly DOMS sets in after marathon apartment cleaning today and tomorrow. Who needs CF when you're a perfectionist who has 14 windows to wash under the supervision of an obsessive clean-freak?

Today's exercise: 3ish mile run. Dirty windows.

No comments:

Post a Comment