Saturday, June 25, 2016

Running 101

This morning, I attended Running 101 at my local running store, St. Pete Running Company. My foot is feeling a little better since the Dark Side Half Marathon, and I do not want to ever deal with another stress fracture in my life again. So, time to work on form.

Non-runners probably raise eyebrows when I tell them I paid $10 for a running class. I've been running for 10+ years now, so what could I possibly learn from a "Running 101?" class. My husband said to me "What did they teach you? Put one foot in front of the other? Move forward?" I stuck my tongue out at him.

I probably never would have attended Running 101 had I not just been sidelined by an injury for 2+ months. I think there were about 30 people in the class, so I'm not the only crazy one that thinks she needs to learn how to run.

Our coach, Cody, was pretty awesome. He explained everything with appropriate visuals so that I won't forget next time I train. He helped us determine proper hip placement by first having us exaggerate our hips backward (a la Donald Duck - a problem for runners who otherwise sit on their butt at a computer all day like me), and then forward (think Steve Urkel, for those of you who are old enough to know who that is). Perfect hip placement is somewhere right in the middle - where you could hold a credit card in your butt crack and not lose it. His explanation, not mine... but it totally works though! We talked cadence, stride length, and foot strike, and had a chance to put it all into practice.

One thing he acknowledged was that it's easy to do these things when you are going slow, but it all kind of falls apart when you speed up. When I start going faster, I should try scraping my foot against the pavement (as if trying to get gum off my shoe) to activate the glutes more instead of my calves or hammies. And, I know I'm doing it right when I could run and read a magazine. (Not literally read a magazine, of course - he just means my head should be stable enough that I could read one if it was there).

He talked about breathing and ended with some stability exercises I can do while brushing my teeth every night. (Standing on one leg. Simple as that.) And we all got $10 gift certificates to use at the store, so it was almost like the class was free. I love free!

I can't wait to put what I learned into practice again, but it may have to wait a few days. Spin class with my mom tomorrow. Crossfit on Monday. Wednesday run I'm guessing?

It was my fourth anniversary this week, so my husband and I are celebrating how we know best - a trip to Disney, of course. Maybe I'll get to be the rebel spy today. If you eat, sleep, and breathe Disney, you know what I'm talking about:

Star Wars, Star Tours, and what it means to be the Rebel Spy

1 comment :

  1. Happy anniversary! I have been a runner for 15+ years and I am still learning everyday. It's such a wonderful sport. You've inspired me to seek out some classes in my area. Great post!

    ReplyDelete