Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Happy Global Running Day!

June 1st is Global Running Day, and I celebrated by... not running. Still trying to ease my way back into training for my next half marathon and recover from the injury I sustained at my last half marathon.

But I did go to CrossFit this morning! And had to run 400m carrying a 12lb wall ball for the warm-up, so I guess I did, in fact, observe Running Day for a few minutes.

Question for my CrossFit friends - does anybody else find your warmups just as exhausting as the actual workout? We did running, wall walks, wall balls, and 30 second hangs.. before the actual workout even began!

Anyway, today was my first day back at CF since I started up again two Saturdays ago.

Obi Wan hasn't felt his running muscles in a long time.
I was kind of sore for a full week afterwards...

My CF coach told me she anticipates that we will have certain degrees of soreness, and plans the WODs (workout of the day) accordingly - so even though I expect to be sore tomorrow and will want to take the day off, I'd be doing myself a disservice by skipping out.

But... I messed up my right shoulder doing overhead squats during today's WOD.

Crap crap crap.

It's deja vu all over again. How come I'm the only one that can't figure out CrossFit without hurting myself?

So tomorrow's WOD is easier on the shoulders - some jump rope, front squats, and DB pushups/rows/squat clean thrusters. I'm committed to going just for the sake of seeing what happens. If anything aggravates my shoulder, I won't do it. But if it otherwise helps me avoid the dreaded DOMS, I'm all for it.

I'm also committed to going tomorrow because I'm heading back to New Jersey on Saturday. There's no CF WOD on Friday, so I won't be able to get my CF fix in for a good ten days or more.

But while I'm in NJ, I plan on taking advantage of less humid weather and start putting more miles on my running shoes (if my foot tolerates it, of course). I not only have another half marathon to train for, I just learned about the Hogwarts Running Club.

Accio medals!

Today's exercise:

Shoulder press - 5x3 ascending (my max was 45#)

20 min AMRAP ("as many rounds as possible" - I did 4)

5 jumping pull-ups
10 dips
15 overhead squats 35#

1 comment :

  1. Hogwarts Running Club? Hope that your shoulder is feeling better soon. I wish that I had known about Global Running Day BEFORE it happened so that I could have planned a run--will have to just make it Global Running Week for me. ;)

    ReplyDelete