Thursday, June 9, 2016

The Non-Running Trifecta

I have had some trouble sleeping over the last few nights. Despite being wide awake until the wee hours of the evening, I'd still wake up ready to run at 5:30 am... no alarm clock needed. However, I had to commute to work over the last two days, and there just wasn't enough time for a morning run.


I didn't have to commute today, so I planned to run. But the early sunrise and birds chirping didn't wake me up like they've done the last two days. Nope, I was jolted out of blissful sleep by my alarm clock. I was exhausted.


It was also only 50 degrees here this morning, not nearly as pleasant as it was on Monday. A large storm yesterday brought in a cold front, and I left all of my warmer running gear behind in Florida.


Irony.


And - to complete the non-running trifecta - I just wasn't feeling very good. Once again, my eating while here in NJ has been abysmal.


I tried my best to plan for this trip north. My father and I have very different ideas about food, but I don't try to force my preferred way of eating upon him. And that usually means I eat pretty terribly while I'm here.


This time, as soon as I stepped off the plane, I called my dad and explained I needed to run to the grocery store to pick up some things for myself and that I'd be happy to cook him meals he enjoys this week - but we'd be using my own special ingredients. Chili. Stew. Tacos. I told him I didn't want to eat anything with gluten, soy, and sugar, because these things just don't make me feel my best.


And that's worked out really well for the most part, except there are still things here in his kitchen that I can not resist. Like cookies.


Cookie monster has an eating disorder.


I haven't been taking the gymnema as religiously as I should be. This visit to my father's house would have been a perfect scenario to see if it actually works or not to truly eliminate sugar cravings. I'll get back on it tomorrow.


Really, the best thing for me is to get back home where I have a little more control over what food is allowed in my house. Complete abstinence is going to be the only thing that gets me off of this sugar problem. I've read a million and one articles like this one that reinforce this is the right path for me, but none of these articles ever give solid advice as to how to say "no."


I'd really like to be completely free of sugar by the time my next visit to NJ rolls around.



No comments:

Post a Comment