Saturday, February 20, 2016

Feeling the Force

It's Day 6 of my Whole 30. When I completed Whole 30s over the last two years, the first week always brought some unpleasant side effects, like headaches or an unsettled stomach. This year, I'm not getting any of that. I'm thinking it's because I have *mostly* been eating this way over the last two months, with the exception of a sugar bender or two during the week of my move.

I did wake up at 3:45 this morning though. I'm familiar with this phenomenon from prior Whole 30s and - more recently - doing the two-week carb elimination test in December. I'm hoping this is not going to be a trend for the next month.

I also get the food dreams. They always involve me eating something off plan and then waking up relieved it was just a dream. Here are the ones I can vividly remember:
  • My husband offered me a slice of pizza and I ate it without thinking twice.
  • I was upset about something and wanted a Frappucino. In real life, I haven't had a Frappucino in a long time - I'm usually a hot beverage drinker.
  • I was on my way out somewhere and as I was walking out the door, my mom said: "Don't forget a cupcake!" You know, in the way that moms would say "Don't forget a hat and gloves, you'll catch pneumonia!"So I grabbed one from a nearby cupcake tower and went on my way.
Whole 30 put out a list of things to expect each day you are on the program. I typically do experience everything on that list, just not necessarily in the first two weeks. And I've NEVER experienced "tiger blood". Perhaps the excessive running I was doing during past Whole 30s prevented me from experiencing boundless energy.

Kill all the things when training for a half marathon run and eating Whole 30
But yes, this phase has happened before. Maybe it won't this time!
I expect different outcomes for this Whole 30 because my running is so much gentler on me now. I've mentioned I've *completed* two Whole 30s - but I don't think I've ever mentioned how many others I've started and quit. I've lost count. I do remember one time I even made it 15 days in - beyond the halfway point - and gave in to sweet pickles, of all things.

Because of past failures, I'd always enter into a new Whole 30 challenge with just a little bit of doubt.

But not this time. I am not worried at all about whether I can do it or not.

Even this morning, I was presented with a dilemma as my mother wanted to meet up with me for breakfast at our usual spot. I called ahead and found out the cafe cooks with Pam or liquid butter, both of which are not compliant with the diet. I explained I needed some alternative options and they ended up making me two poached eggs. That was the only thing on the menu I could eat, so I was pretty ravenous by lunch... but good to know I can still enjoy time out with my mom at our favorite breakfast spot.

I may have to purposefully end the diet early when I travel for work next month, but I'm going to do everything I can to keep it going. I'm going to work with our hotel and caterer for the conference to see what my options are.

The real challenge here is not whether I can make it 30 days or not - it's whether I can make these healthier eating habits stick.

56 days left.

Today's Exercise: Walking, core work, and planting some palm trees

Breakfast
Lunch
Snack
Dinner
2 Poached Eggs
Chili w/ guacPumpkin seeds, larabarChili w/ guac

No comments:

Post a Comment