Tuesday, February 9, 2016

May your feet be with you

I had trouble getting to sleep last night, even though I went to bed at a reasonable time. It partly had to do with how wired I was yesterday. My mind just would not quiet down.

But it mostly had to do with my feet. Sometimes, I think it would be better not to have them.

Star Wars BB-8 rolling, not running.


When I was training the way I used to - harder, faster, longer - nighttime leg cramps were a thing to deal with. I'd awaken and cry out in pain, jolting out of bed and scaring the bejeezus out of my husband. I could walk them off pretty quickly, but I'd feel pretty sore the following day.

And I'd probably still run anyway.

I'd always assume after these episodes that I wasn't drinking enough water. Articles like this one point out the number one cause of muscle cramps is a lack of hydration. But that couldn't really have been it - I pretty much only drink water. (Ok, some coffee and wine too).

I haven't really had any problems since I've slowed down, though - looking back, I have only logged one charley horse.

Even though they've become more infrequent, I haven't forgotten how painful they are. The cramps always start out in my feet before shooting up my leg. And I had that feeling in my feet all night last night, like I was going to get a cramp any second.

Thankfully, I never did get a full-on cramp, but my feet are still feeling a little bit sore today. So I'm not sure what's going on. When I look at the six other causes of cramps from that article, none of the rest really apply either.

Here's hoping it was just a side effect of another stressful Monday, and I can stave off future pain with better stress management.

67 days left.

Today's Exercise: Rest

Breakfast
Lunch
Snack
Dinner
3 eggs with spinach, coffee
3 eggs with spinach, teaTJ's KrautHam & Cheddar cauliflower soup, Trader Joe's Kale Salad

1 comment :

  1. I've only had the leg cramps and charley horses a few times, but they are so painful, so I hope that yours don't return in the frequency or intensity you had them. Here's to hoping it was just a stressful day!

    ReplyDelete