Sunday, February 21, 2016

You have to relax for a moment

Usually, at some point during my daily runs, my mind always wanders to the list of other things I should be doing: housework, projects for my employer, taxes, cooking, running faster, etc.

And that didn't happen today. At least not as much... I found I was instead thinking about how much I appreciate the ability to live where I do and run where I can.

Running during morning sunrise
I don't remember when the last time I stopped mid-run to take a photo was. I'm always in too much of a hurry.
I see a sunrise like this almost every day I run, but thoughts about stopping to take a picture get pushed aside by reminders that I have to hurry up and get home, get back to work, get back to the stuff that counts.

But taking a pause in your day to relax counts for something too.

Here are my three favorite ways to slow down and relax:

1. Meditation: I used to be really consistent about incorporating this into my routine, but have lost my way a bit. And it really doesn't take that much time out of your day to do. See: What Might Happen if You Start Meditating
2. TV: Just an hour each night, though. I am a cable cutter, so I only get whatever is on Hulu/Netflix/borrowing HBOGo from my dad/etc. I won't get into my entire list of favorites, but my top three right now are The Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, and House of Cards. Jessica Jones is good. And can't wait for Silicon Valley to come back. There's a lot of good TV out there right now.
3. Sauna/Hot Tub/Warm Bath: I love using the sauna after a workout at Globo Gym, but I find myself going less there now that I don't like to use the treadmill anymore. Now that I've moved into my new house, my soaker tub is a good alternative! Doing bath time right includes candles, a good book, and some of these:

A warm bath with these bath salts is great for running recovery


Note that "food" is not on my list of ways to relax anymore.

Looking for any ideas or suggestions about other easy ways to incorporate relaxation into a typical day - leave a comment and let me know what you do.

55 days left.

Today's Exercise: 11 mile St. Pete run:

M1: 15:15
M2: 15:02
M3: 15:13
M4: 15:07
M5: 15:07
M6: 14:45
M7: 15:27
M8: 15:42
M9: 15:43
M10: 15:48
M11: 15:56

Breakfast
Lunch
Snack
Dinner
3 Eggs w spinach, coffee
Chili w/ guac, TJ's Kraut2 HB eggs, 2 tbsp coconut butterTuna salad, mint tea

2 comments :

  1. I strive to meditate every day but I found recently as life gets busy I need to discover meditation and repetition. Washing dishes things like that which are repetitive movement can also be meditative.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Carla - you know, maybe that's why doing dishes is a chore I don't mind so much!

    ReplyDelete