Sunday, February 7, 2016

My nose runs faster than I do.

It's winter in North Carolina. I found myself with some downtime this morning, so I wanted to get in a long run. It didn't happen exactly as I hoped. I learned that two things slow me down:

  1. Elevation. Not a big surprise here, but the gently rolling hills of Greensboro challenged me. 
  2. Cold. I thought maybe I could be faster in the cold. I certainly wanted to be faster in the cold to get back to a nice, hot shower more quickly, but my heart rate monitor told me no.
Star Wars Han Solo getting angry at my Garmin running watch.
Anybody else get annoyed at their HRM when the alerts go off?
I'm definitely looking forward to getting back to flat, winter-less Florida tonight. 

I am not sure when the last time I ran outside in near freezing temperatures was. My body pretty much shuts down if it's below 50 degrees. I set out this morning thinking I'd get 6 miles done today, but turned around after mile 2 because of numb fingers and toes.

So I'm not too disappointed in my run times today. I was running about the same pace just a few short weeks ago in moderate temps with no elevation. If I had to make a guess about why my last mile was the fastest, I would say it's because that's when my toes finally got some feeling back.

Some feeling... As I write this 3 hours after my run, I'm still trying to get warm. I see more coffee in my future.

Oh, there's some big athletic event happening today... I only care when my Giants are playing. Here's my favorite football moment ever.

69 days left.

Today's Exercise: Greensboro Run:

M1: 16:14
M2: 16:29
M3: 16:06
M4: 15:22

Breakfast
Lunch
Snack
Dinner
2 HB eggs, banana, coffee
Chicken, veggies, chips and salsa, HC LatteN/aToo full from lunch

1 comment :

  1. I hate running in the cold, mostly because I start out freezing but warm up by the end. Yesterday, I had a hat, jacket, and long sleeve top. About 3/4 of a mile in, I took off the hat and stuck it in my pocket, but then I was just warm all over so I took off the jacket and tied it around my waist--but then because the hat was in the pocket, it made it flop around all weird. Finally I just put the jacket and hat on a bench and checked on it every time I went around the 1-mile loop. It's just complicated! It was supposed to be colder, but the sun really made it warm. Anyway. All that to say, my body pretty much shuts down when the temp outside gets below 60 :)

    ReplyDelete