Thursday, February 18, 2016

My Yoda Moment

Despite yesterday's weirdness, I woke up at 5:30 this morning feeling really awesome. Like I was totally going to rock my run. I'm coming off of two days of rest, I'm on day 4 of my Whole 30, and I'm one day closer to the weekend.

I decided to drive across town so that I could run on the Pinellas Trail again this morning and get some sauna time at Globo gym afterwards. I hit the trail feeling like I was totally in the zone, ready to find my best pace yet.

So when I was alerted at mile 1 that my pace was 16:52 minutes per mile - almost two minutes slower than I expected to be - I was totally crestfallen.

W.T.F.

I kept at it, thinking maybe it was an anomaly, maybe I'd find my stride at mile 2, but nope... mile 2 was even slower.

So whatever. Baby, I'm just gonna shake shake shake it off. Have at it again tomorrow and hope my body was just playing a practical joke on me. Real funny, Nicole. Get it out of your system now, the race is in 58 days.

I sauna'd and showered at the gym before work, and as I was in the locker room brushing my hair, a girl in her - oh, late 20's I guess - bounded in announcing "Man, I am feeling so sore but can't wait to be even more sore!"

I looked at her. And saw my past self, the 27-year-old me that picked up running for fun and eventually let it turn into punishment.

And I was all:

Star Wars Yoda says "Rest, We Must" after running.


"Oh, sweetheart," I said. "If you're sore, why not give your body some rest? Use the sauna or the hot tub or whatever you want, but recovery is part of training too."

She looked at me and laughed. "No way, love the endorphins!" and made her way out to the gym floor.

Sigh. The path to the Dark Side. Who's to say she'll end up like me, though? Even so - I'll keep an eye out for her and pass her a business card to my blog.

58 days left.

Today's Exercise: 4 mile "WTF" run w/ core work:

M1: 16:52
M2: 17:04
M3: 16:17
M4: 15:28

Breakfast
Lunch
Snack
Dinner
3 eggs with spinach, BP mochaTuna salad, TJs Kraut2 tbsp almond butterChili, tea

No comments:

Post a Comment