Thursday, March 10, 2016

runDisney Updates

Work travel is beating me up a little bit harder than I thought it would. More on that tomorrow.

For a quick post, just wanted to share some big updates out of runDisney:

1. Registration for Super Heroes Weekend Announced: This was formerly known as the Avengers Half and will be November 10-13, 2017. Registration will take place on April 12 (April 5 for Annual Passholders) at noon ET.

So... originally my intention was to run the Star Wars Dark Side Challenge next month and then retire from running. But because a few things have changed for me lately, I'm not really sure I'm ready to retire. If I do Super Heroes Weekend, I will have completed a half marathon at Disney World in Orlando (Star Wars) AND a half marathon at Disneyland in Anaheim (Avengers) - which means I could earn the Coast to Coast challenge medal!

I wish registration was happening after Star Wars so I could make a fully informed decision. But now I've got less than a month to figure it out. Do I continue riding this emotional roller coaster that is running half marathons? Hmmm...

2. Changes to Wine and Dine Half

The changes to the runDisney Wine and Dine Half Marathon run are true


So Disney announced with much fanfare that the Wine and Dine Half Marathon Weekend is now adding a 10k and a few other events. But I think they were trying to cover up a big takeaway - the race will now be held in the morning instead of in the evening. One of the things that made this race so awesome and such a good memory for me - despite being the race that holds my WORST record - is that we totally got to take over Epcot until 4am following the race. While I understand that Disney does VERY well when they do these challenge races (everyone - myself included - wants those extra medals), part of the big appeal of Wine and Dine was that it was an evening race. Without a theme like Star Wars, Princesses, or Marvel behind it, it's likely to lose popularity.

I think this was a bit of a stumble, Disney. Anybody else disappointed by the news?

Today's Exercise: Unplanned rest.

1 comment :

  1. I have never run any Disney races but they sound like such fun! That does sound like a bummer that they have changed the timing on the Wine and Dine Half. Great blog!

    ReplyDelete