Wednesday, March 23, 2016

May the course be with you

Rough 24 hours, but then I read this today:

25 Things About Life I Wish I Knew 10 Years Ago

The first two things on the list spoke to me:

#1. Struggle is good. Wish the author would have written a little more about WHY it's good, but I'm sure it has to do with perseverance, resilience, blah blah blah. If I had to guess why struggle is good for me, it's because it builds a foundation for me to understand that I can overcome challenges, and not back down in fear when presented with new ones.

#2. Don't complain. So I can't run a sub 2:00 half marathon. Wah. Oh, I've spent all this time and energy getting outside for a run in paradise while the rest of the world deals with winter. Wah. I have to go to Disney in less than a month to run an epically awesome Star Wars themed race and I feel unprepared for it. Boo freakin' hoo.

You can put your tiny violins away. I'm ready to shut up about it.

I spent some time looking over the course maps today. First, the 10K. Pardon my terrible screenshots:

map of Star Wars 10k running race course

So it looks like it starts out at Epcot, runs through the Disney Boardwalk area, then through Hollywood Studios, ending at the Wide World of Sports (WWOS) complex. I am a little bit worried about the end of the race being kind of boring. The last three miles are on the roads that separate the parks.

But I understand why it needs to work this way - they need to make sure everyone's out of the parks before they open for the day.

I was worried about the same thing - 'boringness'  - for the Rebel Challenge Star Wars Half at Disneyland - you run through the parks there first, and then head into the streets of Anaheim for the last 7 miles. I mean... Anaheim? How cool could that possibly be?

I was pleasantly surprised.

So here's the course map for the Dark Side Challenge Star Wars Half:

map of Star Wars half marathon running race course

It kind of looks very similar to the Wine and Dine Half route, only in reverse - Wine and Dine started at WWOS and ended at Epcot. Anyway, the half follows a very similar route as the 10k, but then takes you out to 18 million overpasses (or maybe 4) until you hit Animal Kingdom, and then 4 miles of boring-ness til you get to the end at WWOS.

Did someone remember to invite the 501st for this one? Here's hoping...

Today's exercise: Rest

2 comments :

  1. One of my favorite parts of the Goofy Challenge was running along the Boardwalk, then running by the Swan and Dolphin hotels. The backroad scenery is kinda boring but it's so much fun going through the parks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did the Goofy? Envious... I've got the Dopey Challenge on my radar, but probably not for a few years!

    ReplyDelete