Thursday, March 17, 2016

/Whole 30

So if you've been keeping track (as I know you all have because it's SO fascinating #sarcasm), you know that Tuesday was Day 30 of my Whole 30.

30 days of no grains, dairy, legumes, alcohol and sugar - done!

Now begins the process of reintroducing some of the things I've eliminated to see how they impact me and what to expect if I make them a normal part of my diet. This isn't my first rodeo, so I kind of already know the answers... the real test is whether or not I can stick to my commitment to stay away from things that make me less healthy.

Legumes first. Yesterday, I added about a 1/2 cup of black beans with every meal I had.

Result?

Star Wars Han Solo shrugging it off


I had an off-day, for sure, but whether or not the beans are to blame is hard to validate. Here's what went wrong:

  • Energy: I had none of it. By noon, I was desperate for a nap. I nodded off while trying to complete my daily meditation. I went to bed early, but still felt exhausted when my alarm went off to go for a run this morning. But is this attributable to what I ate? Or perhaps I'm still trying to catch up on lost sleep from business travel and changing the clocks for DST? Plus I had to present at a fairly high-pressure meeting yesterday, a task that always drains me. It wasn't until early this afternoon that I felt a little more alert.
  • Uncontrollable urges around food: The binge monster still comes knocking every once in a while, but I've been pretty good at turning him away. I may have let him back in for a few minutes last night. It wasn't face first into a pile of donuts, mind you, but a binge on Whole 30 compliant food is still a binge. However, I've been feeling these urges more intensely over the last week anyway, so I don't think legumes are the culprit.
  • Bloating and grossness: With last night's overindulgence, is it a big surprise that I woke up this morning feeling like running was the LAST thing I wanted to do? Was it the legumes or just eating too much in general before bedtime?
I hate that there are so many damn variables to this process. I'm thinking I might try again later next week with a different type of legume - peanut butter perhaps? In the meantime, it's back to Whole 30 strict compliance for today and tomorrow. Will try non-gluten grains on Saturday. 

Today's exercise: Rest

No comments:

Post a Comment