Thursday, October 8, 2015

Determination

Waking up at 3:45am yesterday for work travel + lots of meetings and social interaction = a very tired introvert. Early bed time for me tonight.

I am excited to report success with my new morning workout "routine." I guess it's not routine yet, but I certainly got a good start, despite having to fight through some adversity in the form of both physical and mental roadblocks.

I set my alarm clock for 6:00am so that I could use the hotel gym before my workday began, but ended up waking up at 4:45am. This tends to happen after I have to wake up extraordinarily early for travel - it's like my body decides that the new normal is to wake up in the middle of the night, even though I only had to do it one day to catch a flight.

Unfortunately, it wasn't like I was ready and raring to go at 4:45 - I was greeted with an unwelcome migraine headache. I got up for a glass of water and put myself back to bed, hoping I could sleep it off before the 6am alarm went off.

No such luck - the headache persisted. My mind tried to convince me that today wasn't going to be the day to start early morning running, but my future self frowned upon that and gently prodded me to consider just resetting my alarm for 7am and seeing if the additional rest (plus more water) would help my headache go away - I wouldn't be able to get a full hour workout in as planned, but a half hour would be better than nothing.

Yet by 6:45, I knew the headache wasn't going away on its own. I forced myself out of bed to get some more water, put on my workout clothes, and see if the hotel store carried any pain relievers. I was in luck, sort of - one tablet of aspirin was $2.00! But I popped the pill and made my way to the hotel gym... where I encountered roadblock #2.

There were only two treadmills, and both were occupied. Seems the extra 45 minutes of sleep set me back in more ways than one. I considered taking my run outdoors, but worried that it wasn't the safest choice for me in a city I don't know very well, nor the warmest (I already have thinned Florida blood, despite only having moved down there a few months ago). I was about to give up and try again after work, but there was still a little voice nagging me to fight on. I decided to go have a light breakfast of oatmeal and coffee, and see if a treadmill opened up afterwards.

And it paid off! I felt great getting my work out completed this morning. So I'm setting my alarm clock for 6am again tomorrow and making sure I'm well hydrated before I go to sleep to hopefully prevent another headache. Would like to keep this morning workout streak going strong!

Star Wars Yoda: Perseverance. "Do or Do Not. There is no try."



191 days left.

Today's Exercise: 3.1 mile Treadmill run (10 min/mi) @ hotel gym

Breakfast
Lunch
PWO
Dinner
Oatmeal, hardboiled egg, coffee
Chef Salad
Coffee
Fun size M&Ms
N/AGrilled Chicken Salad, 1.5 glass wine

No comments:

Post a Comment