Friday, December 4, 2015

Christmas Comes Early

Tonight - off to Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party at the Magic Kingdom where I am going to drink hot cocoa to my heart's content.

Because tomorrow begins the Maffetone Two Week Carbohydrate Intolerance Test. No more sugar.

I'm actually looking forward to it because right now I'm really not feeling very well. I had a lot of difficulty waking up the past two mornings, and even greeted today with a headache. I actually anticipate the headaches to persist at the beginning of the test - anytime I dramatically reduce carbohydrates in my diet, I get nagging headaches. But I know they are only temporary - my body will adapt.

Sugar is definitely a drug I'm having trouble quitting. I've got a serious sweet tooth and wish that some of the research and media attention sugar is getting now was available when I was a child. I grew up knowing the dangers of cigarettes and recreational drugs - never did those. I wonder if kids today will grow up thinking the same things about sugar.

The near future payoff for me is becoming 'fat adapted' so that this method of training for the Star Wars Half marathon actually has a shot at working. If I can keep that in mind, I think I can do it - we're all wired to look for immediate gratification, right? The longer term benefits - like decreasing risk of heart attack, dementia, and diabetes (and more, as outlined in "The Surprising Benefits of Cutting Back on Sugar") shouldn't be neglected - I just don't think they are as compelling when a cookie is staring you in the face.

Running at Disney on cookies and cocoa

Like these free cookies and cocoa here at MK!

134 days left.

Today's Exercise:  30 minute elliptical

No comments:

Post a Comment