Sunday, December 13, 2015

That Time I Was Last

Since I've started the new heart rate training plan... and have not really been running the past few days... I've been thinking about worst case scenario. What is that for me? That I'm going to come in last place? Hardly. It wouldn't be the end of the world. It's happened before.

Back in 2013, right before the Disney Wine and Dine Half Marathon, my husband, best friend, and I signed up for an 8 mile trail run a few weeks ahead of the half. BIG MISTAKE. I remember that morning and my husband's famous last words before the race started:

"I'm going to be last."

I glanced over at Ben as we waited in the corral to begin, prepared to laugh with him about his pre-race nerves. But he wasn't laughing - what I thought was a smile was more of a grimace as he analyzed the very fit and trim runners surrounding us. My husband loathes distances over 5k - as he puts it, there aren't too many "woggers" (walk/joggers) at the longer races. "Look," I pointed out a woman of similar stature to him, decked out in hot pink from head to toe. "I know you can beat her." (I know, I-  of all people - should never judge a book by its cover. I wasn't really. Just trying to make him less nervous).

He shook his head and forced a smile. "Just remind yourself that there's bagels and chili at the finish line," I encouraged him, but for the first time started thinking about the courage my husband has to sign up for these runs with me. I can't say I have ever shown up to a race thinking I may just come in last place. Would I still be willing to run if it was a likely scenario? Probably not. I realized I have no idea what it's like being in my husband's sneakers.

When the starting gun sounded, I gave my friends a thumbs up and switched my iPod on, figuring I'd see them at the finish line. The course wound it's way through the state park - over rocks, roots, up small hills and then back down. I had no idea when I signed up for a "trail race" that it really would be tough terrain - I assumed it would be more like the local canal trail I used to run on during a typical weekend long run. 8 miles on a course suited more towards hiking boots than my Saucony ProGrid Hurricanes? As I watched countless individuals stumble over various hazards in the trail, I began to think about my friends getting lost in the woods or twisting an ankle and being unable to compete at Disney in just a few short weeks. And I thought about my husband - potentially in last place, having to pick his way through 8 miles alone. 

I stopped and stepped off the path. And waited.

It was only about the 2 mile point, and fortunately most of the pack was still together. It didn't take long for my friend to jog past, followed closely behind by my husband - NOT in last. I fell into a light jog behind him.

 "What are you doing?" he asked. "Listen," I said. "If I get lost in these woods, at least I have you with me. Also, if I roll an ankle, I know you know first aid. Of course, if YOU roll an ankle, you're SOL."

Our middle-of-the-pack position didn't last much longer after that - with each hill, we slowed down just a tiny bit. We lost my friend, but I wasn't worried about her - as long as she was with people, she'd be ok. Around mile 4, we lost sight of all other runners. My husband joked that he was slightly off pace.

But not all hope was lost. At mile 5, a beacon in hot pink showed herself about a quarter of a mile ahead of us. I nudged my husband and suggested we could catch her. She made it easy for us when a fork in the trail stopped her short - the trailmarkers were difficult to find. "To the left," I shouted, and the three of us continued along the path, certain that we were the caboose.

Our friend in pink didn't hang around with us for very long though, and with one mile left in the race, we knew we probably weren't going to catch her. "You go on ahead," said my husband. "It's only a mile left, I'll be fine."

We crossed that finish line together... ok, I was just one step behind him...  and were greeted with high fives from my friend (who finished about 10 minutes before us).

It can be hard for me to put aside my competitive nature and pride - but nothing is more important than supporting your friends and family.

But Ben - don't expect me to hang around and wait for you at the Dark Side Half in April :)

My husband and me running together
This wasn't from that particular trail run but it's the only photo I have of us running together. It was at a relay we did and I was running with him at the end of his six mile leg. Funny that he's finishing the six mile run but I'm the one looking miserable.

125 days left.

Today's Exercise:  45 min walk.


Breakfast
Lunch
Dinner
coffee w/ heavy cream, 3 egg omelette with spinach, onion, tomatoWalnuts.. Back at Disney, tough finding LC options Harambe market grilled chicken skewer, broccoli, red wine

No comments:

Post a Comment