Thursday, December 31, 2015

Adventure. Excitement. A Jedi craves not these things.

Nicole kind of does, though.

Star Wars Yoda: Only once, you live.
Only once, you live.
Got off to a much better start today - slept three minutes longer than yesterday! At least the needle is moving in the right direction.

I really didn't want to get up for a run today, but I wasn't getting any more sleep because of the snoring duel going on between my husband and dog. So I band-aided the hell out of my heels to protect from any more blistering and hit Bayshore again. 

Things seen on today's "run":
  • A cardinal. I didn't think they made it down this far south. 
  • A cormorant catch a crab. It didn't look like it was going to end well... for the duck. I didn't stick around to see if the crab was going to cut his neck off.
  • A power-walking grandma pushing her Maltese in a stroller. She passed me, btw. Getting passed by grannies is not uncommon on the Maffetone Method.

I love that I can pay attention to things like this now that I've slowed my roll. It's part of what makes running enjoyable and exciting again. 

Think, train, eat, sleep like an athlete... this has been my mantra since I registered for the Star Wars Dark Side Challenge

What about play like an athlete? It turns out play is as essential to our health and functioning as rest. Training runs were never really enjoyable for me before I started low heart rate training. (Races were fun, of course, but I'd only do one every other month or so. Doesn't seem right to only have fun every 60 days, does it?)

So it's New Year's Eve. Every year for the last 10 years or so, I'd set the same resolutions for myself. Maybe not exactly the same, but they all revolved around the same theme. Lose weight. Finally get control of my eating. Run faster. 

This year, I'm resolving to have more fun. Reduce stress, improve immune function, improve sleep... seems like adding more playtime is a goal that could naturally lead to everything else I want in life.

I'm starting 1/1. Tomorrow, I'm taking my run to the beach for sunrise. 

Happy New Year, friends. How are you starting off 2016?

107 days left.

Today's Exercise: 1 hr outdoor run

Breakfast
Lunch
Snack
Dinner
3 eggs with spinach, coffeeMadras LentilsHC latte, almondsTJ's Chicken Burger, salad

2 comments :

  1. I'm aiming to make more recipes and be more active!
    Kari
    www.sweetteasweetie.com

    ReplyDelete