Sunday, December 6, 2015

Truly Tested

I got a bit of a later start this morning since my husband and I wanted to check out the Tampa monthly farmer's market today, which is right near Globo Gym. I thought it still felt pleasant enough at 9am to run outside, but at about 8 minutes in to my run, I knew it was a mistake - it was too hot and I was having difficulty keeping my heart rate in the 135-145 range. I was really hoping to make another good attempt at calibrating the watch, but the heat drove me back inside to the treadmill. I'll give outdoor running another try tomorrow, as I know it's usually cool enough to do so at 6am.

The market today tested my commitment in staying on the Maffetone Two Week Carb Test - there were plenty of tempting goodies, but I never really felt like I was missing out. I navigated the market like a pro, staying enthusiastic about my fresh/local veggies and treating myself to some beet chips.

Day 2 is coming to a close with no low carb side effects, except I did find myself getting a little bit annoyed at all the junk my husband consumed at the market. I just gotta keep reminding myself that these are my goals and this is my journey - not his. But come on - did he really have to buy all of that fudge?

Star Wars Mace Windu says "bring carbs to my house, I dare you".


132 days left.

Today's Exercise:  45 min treadmill/outdoor run, HR: 144 bpm average


Breakfast
Lunch
Dinner
coffee, 2 eggs with spinachtuna salad, beet chipsChili

2 comments :

  1. I'm not a coach but I have done what you are trying to do, and I have this hope to become a coach someday. So I want to talk with you more about what you are doing. Want to do it here on the blog? cool. Want to do it over email/phone calls? that works too. Not interested at all? That's fine, won't hurt my feelings, I'll still be cheering for you. I think it's because I have this feeling of camaraderie with all runners now. I want you to be able to get what you want, and while I wouldn't be able to help you as much as a professional, if you want to chat I will chat with you as a colleague in this whole running game thing. My background: 31 years old man. 1 year of cross country in JH, bum knees, no running for 10 years, read born to run, started doing the barefoot thing, finally found Maffetone this summer and trained to a place I felt good about with running - Work and education: 15 years in restaurants, I'm really good at listening to people, Mdiv Covenant Seminary in St. Louis - I thought I wanted to be a pastor, 1 year of formal studies in Japanese medicine (currently on hiatus as I'm moving back to Seattle to be with my family ). Anyway if you're interested let me know what you would like to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also read born to run and invested in Vibrams but they gave me blisters. Alright, I'm intrigued. Email me? Runtothedarkside@gmail.com

      Delete