Friday, January 1, 2016

Staying on target

The first day of 2016 isn't going at all how I envisioned.

I ended up having a higher carb day yesterday because I decided to swap out animal protein for some veggie protein. I know, beans are an inferior protein source, but I seem to tolerate them just fine. Plus it saved me from making a trip to the grocery store. 

Also drained two glasses of wine (New Year's Eve definitely counts as a special occasion) and enjoyed some late night pool and hot tub time... which caused me to crash well before midnight. So much for welcoming the new year.

I did get to welcome the new year at 3am. And here I thought I was making some progress after two days in a row sleeping in past 4. I tried a few tactics to get back to sleep - put my ear buds in and opened headspace, a new guided mindfulness app I've been using, but couldn't concentrate enough because of the decibel level of snoring happening in my room. I then got up for a small snack - salted hardboiled egg. That bought me another hour of sleep, and I ended up just reading in bed until 7.

My plan for a morning run on the beach was cancelled when my mother called for help with a flat tire. Her insurance company offers roadside assistance, but conveniently couldn't assist her today. Imagine that. So the first two hours of my morning were spent getting the spare on... and then jumping her dead battery because THAT happened too. By the time we got her car working and over to the mechanic, it was too late in the morning... and therefore too hot... to do an outdoor run, so I had to suck it up and use the dreadmill.

After our work out, we needed to eat but our favorite breakfast place was closed for New Year's and it was really past lunch anyway, so no veggie omelette for me. I began to feel a little bit anxious about finding a different place to eat since I had already planned out my meals using My Fitness Pal, and then having to recite my litany of food restrictions and modification requests again to servers in front of my mother, and dealing with raised eyebrows... I feel elevated stress just thinking about it now, but it all worked out just fine. Bunless burger, topped with avocado, side of steamed broccoli, piece of cake. No, not a literal piece of cake, just saying this process is never as bad as I think it's going to be.

The rest of my plans for the day kind of fell apart. I needed a pick-me-up. So I turned to caffeine. And sugar. I haven't had a snickerdoodle coffee at Dunkin Donuts at all this season, so I said to hell with it and got one. 

Totally backfired. It was not the tasty beverage I remember from last season. Totally artificial, totally disgusting, and totally made me feel slightly nauseous afterwards.

Sigh. Are we having fun yet?

This is getting really long and is full of typos, I'm sure. I need to spend the rest of my night baking cookies for a tailgate party tomorrow, so it's critical that I get myself back into a good, positive space before I get started or it might end up with me face first in a pile of cookie dough.

Star Wars reminder to stay on target with healthy eating.

So here we go:

I'm grateful that I can live here in Florida to be here for my mother when she needs help.
I'm thankful that I've learned how to navigate menus and don't have to fear eating out at restaurants.
I'm glad my taste buds have changed enough in a short period of time that I don't feel like I'm missing out on sugary coffee drinks.
I'm proud to know that I can bake cookies tonight without giving in to a single bite because I've done it before
I'm excited that I still get to give running on the beach another shot on Sunday.
And I just noted this is my 100th blog post. Go me!

Maybe that's worth celebrating with a glass of wine. Or not.

106 days left.

Today's Exercise: Treadmill "run":
M1:15:34
M2:15:46

Breakfast
Lunch
Snack
Dinner
hard boiled egg, HC LatteBurger w/ Avocado, BroccoliSnickerdoodle coffeeMadras Lentils

No comments:

Post a Comment