Thursday, January 7, 2016

Got myself a new droid.

Well, I guess my excitement about "sleeping in" yesterday was premature. Woke up at 4:30 again this morning.

The cool thing though is that I can see exactly how I slept! 

My Garmin running watch shares some sleep data.
I get a 0.0 for deep sleep. Reminds me of my favorite scene in Animal House.

I fired my Apple Watch this week. Besides often crapping out on giving me heart rate readings regularly, it's just not a running watch. It doesn't do the things I need it to do. 

So I upgraded to a Garmin Forerunner 235. Like the Apple Watch, it has an optical heart rate monitor, gives me smart notifications, and reminds me to move when I've been sitting too long. But that's pretty much where the similarities end. The Garmin offers me:
  • GPS: The Apple Watch could only record distance outdoors when I carried my phone with me. Even then, it couldn't give me mile splits - I had to also use Map My Run to get at that information. 
  • Sleep tracking: Apple Watch didn't offer sleep tracking, probably because the battery life was dismal and it needed to charge every night. Maybe the Garmin can help me gather some additional insight into my sleep problems.
  • All of those extra cool metrics runners salivate over like cadence and VO2 max: Oh, and I can now use Smashrun which takes all of your Garmin data and gives you interesting insights AND lets you earn fun badges. I mean, the commentary on this is fantastic:
Smash run gives you running badges for completing challenges.
Interested? You can create a free account and be my friend using this link

I used my Garmin outdoors for my long run yesterday, and also wore my Apple Watch for comparison. This was a mistake. Sometimes both HR readings were perfectly in sync, but the times they weren't made me really neurotic. 


I also tested out the Garmin indoors today - and, just like Apple Watch, it failed at giving accurate mileage indoors. I was doing 16+/mi on the treadmill, but the Garmin tracked me much faster. 

Anyway, as with any new device, understanding how it works, customizing it, and figuring out exactly what hole on the stupid wristband I need to use so it doesn't go sliding all over my wrist... is just taking a little bit of time. But overall, I think I'm going to be much happier with my new droid.

100 days left.

Today's Exercise:  Treadmill "run":

M1:16:12
M2:16:40

Breakfast
Lunch
Snack(s)
Dinner
3 eggs w/ spinach, coffee3 eggs w/ spinach, teaN/A3 eggs w/ spinach

No comments:

Post a Comment