Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Sacrifice

Day 1 of no coffee did not end as I envisioned. I made two cups of tea to get my day started, but my body protested.

Star Wars Darth Vader gets mad when there is no coffee.


I wasn't alert and couldn't focus at work. 

So I made myself some coffee. #Fail.

I'm thinking the quitting "cold turkey" approach isn't going to jive in the middle of a stressful work week. I'm going to have to try just slowly weaning off of it, I guess.

So why bother giving up coffee at all if I love it so much? Of all the ways caffeine affects your body, I'm most concerned about elevated cortisol levels. Excess cortisol (the stress hormone) in your body contributes to anxiety, sugar cravings, and insomnia - all of which have been problems for me recently. There are a few other benefits to giving up coffee (see 9 Things that Might Happen if you Give Up Coffee).

It will be easy to go back to more moderate amounts of coffee after I move into my house and get my Keurig back. There are definitely some benefits to drinking a little bit of coffee - for one, it's not the diuretic people claim it is. And it can also help me run faster.

Which we know is the ultimate goal here.

Unfortunately, I'm not having much luck with my running this week. Today was a perfect day to run - the weather cooperated and I had some extra time so I was really hoping to get a long run completed. But my Garmin was buggy today and I could not get a consistent heart rate reading. I really couldn't find a good pace at all either - I think today may have been my worst run to date.

I don't need the added stress of using equipment that doesn't work, so it may be back to the drawing board in finding a new heart rate monitor. 

87 days left

Today's Exercise:  Bayshore Blvd Run:

M1: 17:01
M2: 17:48
M3: 15:50
M4: 16:20

Breakfast
Lunch
Snack(s)
Dinner
3 eggs, tea3 eggs, tea2 HB EggsMore eggs and tea

3 comments :

  1. This is the first time I've been on your blog. I am a coffee lover, so was interested in seeing what you had to say...did you really eat eggs four times today???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi and welcome fellow coffee lover :) and yes, did eat eggs for all meals. An egg fast is a tool for a ketogenic/low carb to kick start some weight loss. I'll be eating this way for the next few days and gradually add in a few carbs afterwards!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting! I just seems like so many eggs. I have a friend who's son is on the Keto diet to control his seizures. He's now be seizure free for 2 years! I'm definitely interest in following your journey.

    ReplyDelete