Sunday, January 3, 2016

You are unwise to lower your defenses.

Star Wars Darth Vader and Luke Skywalker light saber battle.
I didn't let my guard down for yesterday's bowl game.

My husband and I had to get on the road early yesterday to get to Orlando. Luckily, I've gotten pretty accustomed to waking up in the wee morning hours. We were meeting our alumni association there at 6am to bus it the rest of the way to Jacksonville for the TaxSlayer Bowl and a pre-game tailgate party. 

Unfortunately, 3:30am turned out to be way too early. We kind of forgot that the usual Orlando traffic wouldn't be present at that hour of the morning. And then our bus was 45 minutes late. We froze outside for an hour, and then continued to freeze on the bus because for whatever reason the driver couldn't shut the A/C off. I know what you are thinking, typical wimpy Floridian, but sorrynotsorry there's a reason why I moved here. 

The tailgatge was BYOB and potluck, so I needed to make sure I brought things along that I could eat and drink. Nobody else was going to do it for me. 

So I brought boxed wine and hard boiled eggs! Classy. 

Me with my very healthy snack of boxed wine.
I then proceeded to drink half that box of wine because it seemed to be the only thing that could warm me up. And yes, I regretted it later.
I also brought some prosciutto cucumber rolls, and baked cookies for everyone else in the world who doesn't turn into the Cookie Monster after having one bite. I stayed as close to the DJ at the tailgate party and as far from the food as I could, which worked out really well - stuck with the plan and ended up having a blast without feeling any kind of deprivation. 

My team lost, but the game definitely fell right in line with my goal of having more fun in 2016. It probably would have been even more fun had I cut myself off after a second glass of wine. The drive home was not that much fun for me. 

I crashed as soon as we got home at 9pm. Woke up at exactly 4:20 this morning and felt remarkably normal. I couldn't go back to sleep, though, so I read for a while until I felt motivated to go for a run. Today was the day I promised myself a run on the beach, but I wasn't thinking clearly when I left at 6 because I was way under-dressed. It was only 60 degrees and the wind on the beach made it feel like 40. I was miserable, so I called it quits and took refuge from the cold at my mom's house nearby for a cup of coffee. Ended up hitting the dreadmill again later on in the day. I will bundle up and try the beach run again next weekend or maybe after work one day this week if motivation strikes.

104 days left.

Today's Exercise:  Treadmill "run":
M1:15:02
M2:15:18

Breakfast
Lunch
Snack(s)
Dinner
3 eggs w/ spinach, coffeeMadras lentils, guacAlmonds, 2 hardboiled eggs, HC latteBacon wrapped filet, salad

No comments:

Post a Comment