Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Rest, we must.

Moving is the worst. It doesn't get better the more you do it, either; I've moved to three out of four corners of the U.S. since I graduated college 14 years ago, with lots of scattered smaller moves in between those big three. What I've learned is that it doesn't really matter whether you are moving across the country or just down the street - it always sucks.

So - while I'm very eager to finally be living in our house after a three-month delay - I know this weekend is going to be incredibly stressful. Therefore, all running is canceled until further notice, effective tomorrow afternoon. 

In the past, taking a day off from running would have added to my mental stress. I'd tell myself I was being lazy, I'd restrict what I ate, and I'd make up for it with a harder workout the following day. I know a little bit more about how recovery works now. There's no magic number as to how much rest you need, but you do need it - muscles get stronger during periods of rest.

There's a reason why athletes gradually reduce training in advance of a race (a process known as tapering), and Dr. Maffetone suggests tapering during periods of high volume training too. Not that I'm 100% there yet, but at least it makes me feel less obsessive about missing a few days of running.

Star Wars Yoda saying "Rest, we must" from running around like crazy.


Speaking of being obsessive, it kills me to think I might have to go a day or two without posting something here on the blog, but I'm being honest with myself - there may just not be time to get to it. I've been taking any opportunity I have in my day to write a few pre-scheduled posts, but that's beginning to feel a little bit stressful too. So if you don't hear from me for a day, all is fine, I'm just focusing on getting my new house feeling like home.

But if you don't hear from me for a few days, it means I'm buried under boxes in my storage unit. Send help.

80 days left

Today's Exercise:  Treadmill Run and core work:

M1: 15:50
M2: 15:47
M3: 16:09

Breakfast
Lunch
Snack(s)
Dinner
Chili, coffeeSalmon salad, tea2 HB EggsChili, tea

3 comments :

  1. Yes! Moving is so challenging and exhausting. You will feel so much better when you are settled. Yay! Congrats on training for your half marathon. Exciting! I look forward to following your journey. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aarika Chilson thank you!! Trust me, can't wait to be through this and settled. So much to do!

      Delete
  2. It's good your taking time off to get settled and not stressing about it too much. You'll get back to running again in no time! I look forward to following along your journey to the half-marathon. :-)

    ReplyDelete