Sunday, November 1, 2015

Decision Fatigue

When should I eat?
What should I eat?
Should I work out in the morning or the evening?

It turns out that we have a finite capacity to make decisions every day. By expending energy on these minor things I debate with myself, I'm rendering myself unable to make the best decisions when it comes to big stuff (like whether or not I still want to buy my house that is now two months delayed).

One way to help make the best use of your decision-making ability is to make as much possible routine so that we don't waste mental energy on small decisions. Don't sweat the small stuff. This is one of the reasons I'm looking forward to getting into the routine of morning workouts, and I'm getting a head start this week with the end of Daylight Savings Time. I had a really great run this morning, so I'd like to keep the momentum going.

Of course, then I wasted a lot of energy while on the treadmill debating whether or not I wanted a Peppermint Mocha at Starbucks afterwards. Oh yes, I was super excited to hear that the Red Cup is back beginning today. Here's the mental debate that went on:

"It's festive!"
"It's too much sugar."
"I'm running so I can afford the carbs."
"You already have carbs from your PWO and breakfast. If you really want one, you can get one tomorrow and just plan your carb budget around it."
"I'll earn bonus stars and get a free drink faster."
"It's $6. You have free coffee at home that fits within your goals."

This went on for some time, but I ultimately decided not to get a red cup. My decision-making ability was probably depleted by 10am this morning.

I don't know that cutting out peppermint mochas completely could ever be routine for me, but perhaps I could cut back a bit - like if it's not "Mocha Monday," then I won't get Starbucks. Think it'll work?

Star Wars may the Froth be with you.


167 days left.

Today's Exercise: 6 mile treadmill run (9:57 min/mile) @ apartment gym

PWO
Breakfast
Lunch
Dinner
GNC Puredge Energy
GNC Puredge Protein, CoffeeChili, sauerkrautEggplant parm

No comments:

Post a Comment