Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Star Wars Stamina

Alright, I've got a streak going - three days in a row up early for working out! But... it's getting harder by the day. I woke up in the middle of the night thinking my alarm was going to go off any second, but it was only 4:30. I couldn't fall back asleep, and when 6am did roll around, I felt groggy - like I just needed an extra hour of sleep. Still, I didn't want to break momentum, plus I wanted to take advantage of not having a stomachache this morning.

So I got up and walked my dog as is my routine, and was struck once again by how pleasant it was to be outdoors. I made the last minute decision to run outside instead of hopping in the car to use the treadmill at Globo Gym, and felt pretty good about the decision.

Until I was in major need of a restroom around 2.5 miles in and there were no open ones to be found!

Star Wars Finn needs to run to the bathroom.


The public bathrooms on my running route had yet to be open as it was before 8am - I had to cut my run shorter than I would have liked to go hunt one down. As much as I like running outside, the bathroom issue (and lack of water fountains) are probably going to drive me to use the treadmill more frequently.

Most of the training I'm doing now I feel is foundational - like I'm trying to establish a baseline speed (at least, get back to the speed I was at three years ago) so that I may actually have a shot at running a sub 2:00:00 half marathon come April.

My intention is to get back on the Hal Higdon Intermediate Training Plan when mid-January rolls around. If I can comfortably run 6 miles at a 9 min/mile pace, then perhaps I can just focus on endurance and sustaining that pace from January through April.

I'm following much of the guidance provided in this article about building endurance, but could focus more on these three areas:

  • Eat Right: Although I don't agree 100% with what they say about carbs.  This is the nutrition strategy I'd like to get to, if I can ever put down the Pumpkin Spice Lattes.
  • Work on What's Weak: Speed. I can set the treadmill at 6.0 mph and go through the motions for an hour daily, but that won't get me closer to my goal. Just overuse injuries.
  • Drink beet juice: I just list this here because everything else on this list I've already made part of my routine. 

165 days left.

Today's Exercise: 2.5 mile outdoor run (10 min/mile)

PWO
Breakfast
Lunch
Dinner
N/A
Gingerbread lattechicken burger, saladGrilled Chicken salad

No comments:

Post a Comment