Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Low Point

It's official - I'm burnt out. Last night's massage was great while I was laying there on the table, but didn't do much to rejuvenate me for today. I went to bed early but felt far from refreshed when my alarm went off at 6. I really didn't want to face the day today.

At 6:45, I convinced myself that all was not lost - although I wouldn't have the time to get to Globo Gym and back in time for work, I could do a decent run around the neighborhood and do my lunges/squats/deadlifts combo at the apartment gym. It wasn't a great run this morning - I don't know the neighborhood well yet, and the roads I took didn't offer much in the way of inspiration or beauty. But at least I've put a halt to the momentum that was carrying me away from morning workouts.

Still in a funk though. It was very difficult to concentrate at work this morning. I received some bad news early in the day, which left me with the desire to shut down completely and crawl into bed (or binge watch True Blood on HBO Go). But I couldn't - high pressure meetings throughout the rest of the day forced me to pull it together.

I've been at this for almost two months now and also appear to not be making much progress. The Star Wars Half is going to be here before I know it, and I can't seem to breakthrough my 10 min/mile pace. I'm optimistic that things will be a little bit better by the end of the week, but right now I just wish I could sleep through the next three days.

151 days left.

Today's Exercise:  3 mi outdoors run (10 min/mi), strength training @ apartment gym

PWO
Breakfast
Lunch
Dinner
N/A
GNC Puredge Protein, CoffeeTJs Chicken patties, salad, pumpkin teaTJs Turkey Cranberry Sausage, roasted butternut squash

6 comments :

  1. Hey stumbled upon this via mark's daily Apple. Have you heard of Dr. Maffetone? I used his method and went from couch to sub 2 hour 1/2 marathon in 18 weeks. His method seems crazy. Low carb high fat and low intensity training. My fastest training run mile was 10:50. My race pace was 8:50.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Intriguing...I am looking into this further!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm no expert. Far from it. Just one guy but happy to help with questions. I got turned on to Maffetone by this podcast...really inspiring stuff.
      http://www.enduranceplanet.com/dr-amanda-stevens-with-dr-phil-maffetone-pro-triathletes-journey-of-overcoming-overtraining-to-new-success/

      Delete
    2. This is great info! I'm looking into heart rate monitors now - what do you use?

      Delete
  3. I use a Garmin forerunner 305 that I got on Craigslist 2 years ago. It's been fine but the battery life is getting too weak for me these days. I have no specific recommendation other than do some research and or get something cheapish and used. I've been quite happy with the chest strap and GPS function on mine. Will make sure to buy whatever I need to track cadence next time. Most important in my mind though is don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good. Get something, get out there at that low heart rate, and try the two week test. Don't make a commitment just try it. If it works, keep doing it, otherwise...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Solid advice. I think I'm leaning towards the garmin forerunner 235 when it comes out next week - if I find the HRM isn't working, I can always return it and try something else.
    I need to get over the hurdle of Thanksgiving and Mickey's Christmas Party on 12/4 before jumping into a two week test!

    ReplyDelete