Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Walking Dead

Today, I woke up refreshed and energetic enough to look forward to my workout.

And then there was my husband.

I attribute most of my success in the last week to committing to 6 AM workouts to the end of Daylight Savings Time - but there is another factor here. My husband was traveling for work last week, and it's much easier to force yourself out of bed if there's no 'peer pressure' to stay where it's comfortable and warm.

Now that my husband has returned, he is very supportive of morning workouts - he wants to make it his habit as well - but he is having a more challenging time than I because:

  • he always tends to stay awake later than I do;
  • he's returning from business travel in California - 6 AM here still feels a little bit like 3 AM to him; and
  • he kind of loathes exercise.

Somehow, he made it happen yesterday, but today he was full of protests. Rather than push and nag him into getting his day off to a miserable start, I thought it might help him to just start getting his body used to waking up earlier. Instead of jumping into a workout this morning, I suggested we take a nice early morning walk for a half hour or so and then find a new place nearby to have breakfast. So that's what we did.

I've had three days of training in a row now, so making today an active rest day isn't problematic. In fact, I learned from this article that athletes in training will typically follow two hard workout days with a recovery day. What recovery looks like could be different from athlete to athlete, but I found it informative in terms of what to focus on with regards to activity, nutrition, sleep, and even massage.

Star Wars Darth Vader's broken helmet - maybe he needed a few more recovery days!


Tomorrow - back to work with speed work!

158 days left.

Today's Exercise:  Active Rest

PWO
Breakfast
Lunch
Dinner
N/A
2 eggs, potatoesChili, coffeespinach and goat cheese salad, glass of wine

No comments:

Post a Comment