Wednesday, November 25, 2015

More on Saunas

I enjoy being a member of Globo Gym, even though I've been critical of it. I just wish their branches were a little more consistent - when you go to a new location, you can never be sure if you're going to walk through the doors and step back in time to 1982, or be greeted with bright, more modern facilities. One thing they have consistently at every location I have been to, though, is a sauna.

Star Wars Anakin Skywalker likes the heat.

I love the sauna after a good workout. I've mentioned some of the benefits of sauna time here before, but just saw another article here about it. This one addresses both sauna and steam room, and also dispels some of the rumors about it.

  1. It's not going to help you lose weight. Sure, you might lose some water weight, but it will all come right back once you rehydrate.
  2. It shouldn't be treated as a cleanse - sweat plays a very minor role in carrying toxins out of the body.

But it can still improve your heart health and your athletic performance. My personal reason for giving myself an extra 10 minutes at the gym every day to hit the sauna? Simple - just love the R&R time. By switching to morning workouts, I now have a few minutes to relax in  the morning before work AND I now have time to take advantage of the hot tub at my temporary apartment complex after work.

If I keep all of this relaxation all week, I'll be the least frazzled holiday shopper on Black Friday.

143 days left.

Today's Exercise:  30 minute treadmill interval run @ Globo Gym

Breakfast
Lunch
Dinner
coffee, eggs with spinachTuna saladChili

No comments:

Post a Comment