Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Weight Training

This morning, I woke up a few minutes before my alarm went off. Even though I felt refreshed and alert, my brain started working against me right away, trying to convince me that staying in bed for an extra hour today wasn't going to hurt anybody.

Come on, brain. Work with me here.

It took me 10 minutes after my alarm went off to convince myself to stick with my Wednesday weight-lifting plan, but I made it. I increased weight where I could, tried to pay more attention to my deadlift form, and even squeezed in 10 minutes on the elliptical afterwards.

I'm well on my way to making morning workouts habitual! Huzzah!

I wonder if strength training once each week is really enough, though. I came across this article about a marathon runner who achieved a healthy weight by focusing on becoming a sprinter - and she spent lots of time with weights.  This isn't a surprise to me - I already know the key to good health is getting off the chronic cardio wagon. And while weight loss isn't my primary goal here, I think it would most certainly help me increase my speed.

Star Wars Yoda says "Lift, you must"


So I'm going to change things up a bit by adding some weight training after each shorter run I do. New schedule might look something like this:

S: Spin
M: Active Rest
T: 3 mi run, upper body
W: 1 mi sprint,  lower body
Th: 3 mi run, core
F: Active Rest
S: Long run

We'll see how it goes.

164 days left.

Today's Exercise: Weights @ Globo Gym

PWO
Breakfast
Lunch
Dinner
N/A
LatteChicken burger, saladBuffalo chicken salad, cider

No comments:

Post a Comment