Thursday, November 12, 2015

Fast (Not Speed)

I've read much over the last few years about intermittent fasting and how restricting your eating window within a 12 hr period is a good practice (even better if you can do 9 hours).

My schedule in the past never really permitted this type of practice - since I did my workouts right after work, it meant I usually could sit down to eat dinner between 8 and 9pm. If I could postpone breakfast until after 9am, then this would work out - but I could never wait that long. I think it's from years of having to get breakfast out of the way before sitting in traffic for 45 minutes to get to work. I work from home now, so I really could postpone breakfast but... I'm hungry! Years of habit.

Moving to morning workouts has changed things up for me a bit - now, it is much easier to get all meals in within a 12 hour window since I can eat dinner much earlier. The only problem is that it negates another "best practice" for athletes - incorporating a PWO (Pre-workout meal). I have included a space for PWOs in my meal logs at the bottom since beginning this blog, as I always wanted to remind myself to start making it habit.

However... now I'm not so sure it's needed. This article suggests there are quite a few benefits to working out in a fasted state. There are some mornings I've skipped the PWO, and some mornings I've used the GNC Pureedge Energy drink - I haven't noticed a difference, but I think it's because I'm typically kind of a mess in the mornings still. It's not truly habit yet.

Star Wars healthy-ish pancakes
Ah, breakfast. My husband has these Star Wars pancake molds from Williams-Sonoma. Pancakes are no longer my go-to breakfast though - bring on the eggs!
I think I'll continue to use the Pureedge energy drink until I run out, but I won't restock. I'd like to see how working out before taking in any calories works out for me.

156 days left.

Today's Exercise:  3 mile treadmill interval run @ Globo gym, arms

PWO
Breakfast
Lunch
Dinner
GNC Pureedge Energy
GNC Pureedge Protein, CoffeeChili, coffeeBurger and fries

No comments:

Post a Comment